Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Sacred Grounds of The Big Island

One of my most favorite photographs I have ever taken, this image took six years in the making to produce, and is entitled, "Tiki-Men Redemption 1".
The story starts 6 years ago in 2004 when I decided to go hiking, camping, and photographing for 2 months on the Big Island of Hawaii. After taking a weeks worth of images, I took a long hike out to a very special place in Volcanoes National Park, where I photographed with my 35mm film, and tripod. I Photographed these amazing Tiki-men with the 35mm film I had in my camera! The Next Day, I decided to do some self portraits on the beach with the 35mm self timer. I went and laid out on the beach...arms outstretched when I suddenly heard a crash, and looked to see my camera had been blown over into a nearby tide-pool! The Self Portraits, as well as the original images of the Tiki-Men were destroyed....not to mention the camera was frozen in salt! My Photography adventure was over!
6 years later, I decided to go back out to volcanoes national park to see if I could visit the Tiki-Men and photograph them once again! After a 12 mile hike, across multiple ancient lava flows of different textures, and shapes...I reached my heaven on earth!
Yes, I brought back a camera this time, Photographed the Tiki-Men once again, brought back the camera and digital film, and this photo is the result of a photograph that took six years to make! (Limited edition of 11 prints in 4 sizes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment